Monday, January 7, 2008

Christy Moore, box set secrets and stuff

"Shut up. yer bollocks, I'll pick my own feckin' songs"; a picture of the house in case Russell's worried about Lorcan.
My family, and other animals, have their ancestral wheelbarrow and china pig in Co Kildare, Ireland; a few miles from the homelands of Ireland's great Christy Moore of Newbridge.  I first saw Christy in the 70s, both with Planxty and on his own.  Most recently, I saw him at the Sage, in my neck of the woods, when the above quote was cheerfully hurled at a pissed (for Americans, read drunk) audience member who wouldn't stop yelling for Spancilhill; a fantastic gig.  Christy's solo recorded output has been, to be honest, somewhat patchy: when he hits the heights, great; live, he is as good as it gets.

A few years back, he released a box set of unreleased stuff;  I have been re-listening lately.  It contained gems galore, and reflected all sides of his various musical personas.  Politics has been a constant thread, and whilst I've never been able to connect with his republicanism too easily, this theme comes all too compellingly. Anne Lovett was a fifteen year old girl;secretly pregnant in the hidebound Catholic rural Ireland of 1984 she took herself off to give birth in a grotto of Our Lady.  In the words of the song, 'it was a sad, slow, stupid death for them both'.  There is a great live version in the box, but the original featured the beautiful voice of Sinead O'Connor:


There are some genuine secrets on the box set, hidden in the last tracks.  One is a version of his account of the old DTs.  Christy was a fierce one for the stout on the old days...


And celebrating, sort of, the locality.


Sometime around 1980ish, it's all a bit hazy from those days, I saw him with his old band Planxty and they turned Dylan's I Pity the Poor Immigrant into an Irish ballad.  Try this version, about which I know nowt. 


Finally, a song about what seems to have been the national sport; while we're on the subject, read John McGahern's The Dark (indeed, read everything by him).


Buy the box set here, and see the man live if at all possible.

No comments: